Friday, March 22, 2013

Top Ten Urban Fantasy of the Last Decade

The Angieville blog posted about a list of the Top 20 Paranormal Fantasies of the Last Decade at the Barnes and Noble Book Blog.

(As an aside, the article on the B&N blog is written by Paul Goat Allen. I read his articles years ago when B&N put out a paper science fiction and fantasy newsletter each month. That brought me into their store at least once a month and I found so many new authors that way. He introduced me to Laurell K. Hamilton and her Anita Blake books. I loved those early books by her. They were the first vampire books I read. I didn't realize Allen still wrote for B&N. I will have to check that out.)

Anyway, as Angie did in her blog I'm going to post my top ten fantasy/urban fantasy books (not in any particular order):

Carousel Tides by Sharon Lee
I enjoyed this book so much. It's about an amusement park in a tourist town on the coast in Maine. I read this book after our family had a family reunion in Maine and we visited an amusement park at the beach! That made the book so much fun to read, but I would like it regardless. One of my favorite books! Sharon Lee also writes science fiction favorites of mine with her husband Steve Miller.



Sunshine by Robin McKinley
I was so sorry when I finished this book and then find out it's a standalone book. This was my introduction to Robin McKinley. 

Moon Called by Patricia Briggs
I love this series. Just finished Frost Burned and it was as good or better than the first!

Magic Bites by Ilona Andrews
This is the other series I love. They are my co-favorites right now!

Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris
This has been a great series, too. Hard to believe the last book is in May. I started reading at the beginning of the series and it lead me to the True Blood series on HBO which is also a favorite.


Tinker by Wen Spencer
I've read a lot of Wen Spencer's books, but this is my favorite. She built a great world in this book.


Nightshifted by Cassie Alexander
A new author and series I found at the end of 2012. Really looking forward to the next book.

Midnight Riot by Ben Aaronovitch
Another new author I read at the end of last year. Good series. I like the lore about the rivers of London.

Rosemary and Rue by SeananMcGuire
October Daye is such a great character. 

God Save the Queen by Kate Locke
Another new author and series. I started this one in January and quickly read the next book when it arrived in February.


Bitten by Kelley Armstrong
I'm fudging a little with this book. It was written in 2001, but I do like it a lot!


Most of the books which are part of series I used the first book in the series. I admit I've liked some books more than others in some of the series, but I can't choose a favorite in each series so quickly!

What are your favorite books in this genre?

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jan - I followed your link from Angie's blog as I was curious about your list, I think our top ten would look very similar!

    Totally second the Sharon Lee (I think that one flew somewhat under the radar, but I really liked it) and the Wen Spencer.

    I haven't heard of Kate Locke before though, I will have to look that up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog! I'll have to visit yours since it sounds like we like many of the same books!

      Delete
  2. I definitelt agree about Women of the Otherworld, Mercy Thompson and Toby Daye, those are excellent. Some of teh series you mention, I haven't read though Kara at Nocturnal Reviews has convinced me to try the Kate Locke series.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was so pleased to find the Kate Locke books since she was an author I hadn't heard of. I got the first book on a sale so that made it easy to try her. I hope you like the books.

      Delete